wip: packages in the main tree dependent on wip packages
Niclas Rosenvik
2014-10-02 11:52:33 UTC
While trying to install print/p5-biblatex-biber I found that it is
dependent on packages in pkgsrc-wip.
I have updated wip/p5-Business-ISMN, wip/p5-Business-ISSN and
wip/p5-Tie-Cycle.
Can someone review these and import them into the main tree to make
print/p5-biblatex-biber independent of pkgsrc-wip?

/Niclas Rosenvik
David Holland
2014-10-03 16:41:43 UTC
Post by Niclas Rosenvik
While trying to install print/p5-biblatex-biber I found that it is
dependent on packages in pkgsrc-wip.
I have updated wip/p5-Business-ISMN, wip/p5-Business-ISSN and
wip/p5-Tie-Cycle.
Can someone review these and import them into the main tree to make
print/p5-biblatex-biber independent of pkgsrc-wip?
I remember this issue coming up when the package was added... quite
some time ago. I thought it had been cleaned up. Or did it come back
recently?
--
David A. Holland
***@netbsd.org
Niclas Rosenvik
2014-10-03 23:48:06 UTC
On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 16:41:43 +0000
Post by David Holland
Post by Niclas Rosenvik
While trying to install print/p5-biblatex-biber I found that it is
dependent on packages in pkgsrc-wip.
I have updated wip/p5-Business-ISMN, wip/p5-Business-ISSN and
wip/p5-Tie-Cycle.
Can someone review these and import them into the main tree to make
print/p5-biblatex-biber independent of pkgsrc-wip?
I remember this issue coming up when the package was added... quite
some time ago. I thought it had been cleaned up. Or did it come back
recently?
The wip dependencies are mentioned in all revisions of the Makefile.
The reason I found out about it was that wip/p5-Tie-Cycle had it's
distfile removed from it's repository some my build broke.
p5-Tie-Cycle is a dependency for one of the wip dependencies in the
Makefile.
I have been grepping for Business and business in the perl files that
p5-biblatex-biber installs and it returns nothing. I also tried to
uncomment the dependencies to wip in the Makefile and reinstall biber
without these dependencies installed. Running biber without these
dependencies causes no problems for me. So I think it's totally safe to
remove
DEPENDS+= p5-Business-ISSN-[0-9]*:../../wip/p5-Business-ISSN
DEPENDS+= p5-Business-ISMN-[0-9]*:../../wip/p5-Business-ISMN
from print/p5-biblatex-biber/Makefile since they are not used by the
package.

/Niclas Rosenvik
Thomas Klausner
2014-10-04 12:26:32 UTC
Post by Niclas Rosenvik
[...]
Perhaps for this version, but 1.9 says:
! Business::ISMN is not installed
! Business::ISSN is not installed
so they'll be needed on the next update anyway.
Thomas
Greg Troxel
2014-10-07 18:41:37 UTC
Post by Thomas Klausner
Post by Niclas Rosenvik
I have been grepping for Business and business in the perl files that
p5-biblatex-biber installs and it returns nothing. I also tried to
uncomment the dependencies to wip in the Makefile and reinstall biber
without these dependencies installed. Running biber without these
dependencies causes no problems for me. So I think it's totally safe to
remove
DEPENDS+= p5-Business-ISSN-[0-9]*:../../wip/p5-Business-ISSN
DEPENDS+= p5-Business-ISMN-[0-9]*:../../wip/p5-Business-ISMN
from print/p5-biblatex-biber/Makefile since they are not used by the
package.
! Business::ISMN is not installed
! Business::ISSN is not installed
so they'll be needed on the next update anyway.
Sure, but we need a get-well plan for HEAD and 2013Q3, which violate the
no-wip-references rule. After that, the package can be updated.

I'd say it's better to delete the references and mark the package BROKEN
on 2013Q4, and then to update on HEAD if that's how it is. The package
is going to fail on bulk builds anyway, or should.

Any reason not to just remove the dependencies and submit a pullup?