pkgsrc license question
Brook Milligan
2014-09-21 17:43:15 UTC
I have a question regarding the license to choose for a package. It comes with a license file that is almost identical to the modified BSD license. The sole difference is the insertion of the following sentence at the beginning of the last paragraph:

NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED LICENSES TO ANY PARTY'S PATENT RIGHTS ARE GRANTED BY THIS LICENSE.

Does this constitute a separate license or is this "close enough" to the modified BSD license that it can be referenced by the package? Thanks for your guidance.

Cheers,
Brook
Greg Troxel
2014-09-21 23:56:36 UTC
Post by Brook Milligan
I have a question regarding the license to choose for a package. It
comes with a license file that is almost identical to the modified BSD
license. The sole difference is the insertion of the following
NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED LICENSES TO ANY PARTY'S PATENT RIGHTS ARE GRANTED BY THIS LICENSE.
Does this constitute a separate license or is this "close enough" to
the modified BSD license that it can be referenced by the package?
Thanks for your guidance.
I would say it's different. The BSD license is widely viewed as
granting patent licenses by "permission to use".